The Jhaveri-Weeks Firm, P.C. is a general litigation firm. We represent organizations in a range of litigation and counseling matters, and we represent employees in individual and group actions. We have the experience and ability to handle a wide variety of legal claims, both for plaintiffs and defendants. Our firm is included in Best Lawyers' (formerly U.S. News and World Report's) 2022-2024 "Best Law Firms" ranking for Litigation - Labor & Employment. Please see below for detail on our practice areas.
For organizations pursuing or defending commercial legal claims, The Jhaveri-Weeks Firm offers litigation skills honed in the world of large-firm corporate litigation practice, but with the efficiency and personal focus of a small firm. We handle breach-of-contract, fraud, fiduciary duty, business tort, and intellectual property claims, among others. Since our founding in 2018, the firm has represented organizations in the technology, healthcare, retail, wholesale, consulting, agricultural, and service industries. We also represent individuals in commercial disputes - including co-founders and executive-level employees. Prior to starting the firm, Mr. Jhaveri-Weeks was part of legal teams handling the following representations:
- Hedge fund asserting commercial claims in international arbitration.
- Board of telecom company defending claims of fiduciary breach.
- Major Hollywood publication in copyright infringement action and in resisting discovery into confidential news sources.
- Foreign supplier of energy equipment in contract dispute with U.S. company.
- Hedge fund manager in dispute with bondholders of foreign oil and gas company.
- Major international bank defending antitrust claims involving auction-rate securities.
- Global insurance company defending securities class action.
- Agricultural technology company in USDA regulatory proceedings and related litigation.
- U.S.-based client resisting discovery sought in connection with foreign proceeding under 28 U.S.C. § 1782.
The Jhaveri-Weeks Firm, P.C. serves as class counsel in class action cases. Since its founding in 2018, the firm has been appointed class counsel in numerous employment class actions in California state court matters. The firm's class cases typically involve wage-and-hour compliance issues, such as misclassification of employees as "exempt" from various protections under the California Labor Code, or the failure to reimburse business expenses. Before starting the firm, Mr. Jhaveri-Weeks was a partner at a preeminent class action firm, where he represented classes of employees and consumers.
Current representations include:
Current representations include:
- Class counsel on behalf of adjunct professors asserting wage law protections at private California universities.
- Proposed class counsel for territory sales managers allegedly misclassified as "outside sales" employees.
- Counsel for employees asserting representative group claims under California's Private Attorneys General Act ("PAGA") based on alleged misclassification, off-the-clock work, and failure to reimburse business expenses.
- Proposed class counsel on behalf of employees working remotely without being reimbursed for necessary business expenses, such as internet and cell phone service.
- Represented classes of adjunct professors asserting wage law protections.
- Represented class of employees working remotely without being reimbursed for home internet expenses.
- Class counsel in multiple cases representing business development representatives and territory managers claiming unpaid overtime wages and meal and rest period premium pay.
- Class counsel on behalf of residential tenants charged late fees alleged to violate California law.
- Represented real estate appraisers classified as exempt from overtime requirements.
- Represented proposed class of consumers who purchased laminated flooring sourced from China that emitted formaldehyde above California legal limits.
- Represented proposed classes and/or collective actions on behalf of assistant managers classified as exempt from overtime pay.
- Represented class of employees challenging unlawful background check policies.
- Represented commissioned sales employees challenging employer's practices concerning commission pay.
The Jhaveri-Weeks Firm, P.C. represents employees confronting a variety of workplace violations. We litigate claims in state and federal court and in arbitration, and also assist clients in resolving claims without filing suit. From 2018 to 2023, Mr. Jhaveri-Weeks has been named to LawDragon's "500 Leading Plaintiff Employment and Civil Rights Lawyers" nationwide, and he is recognized as a Northern California "Super Lawyer" in the area of employment litigation. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the Labor and Employment section of the Bar Association of San Francisco. The firm also offers employment counseling and representation to organizations. Areas of representation include:
- Discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination claims
- Founder disputes
- Wage law violations
- Breach of employment contract or commission agreement